Sunday, October 14, 2012

Wikis

A wiki is a website that allows its users to collaboratively add, edit or delete content on a website. We will do three wikis in class this semester. The first wiki was among the entire class where we created our own "All About Me" page. We were able to add pictures and content onto our own page and we could access our pages through links on the homepage. I found it difficult to add and place pictures on the right spot where I wanted it on my page. Also, it was frustrating that only one person could be editing the page at a time. There was also the risk that someone could "steal" the lock and it would remove me from the page I was editing and maybe even wipe out my work (that didn't happen, thankfully). I liked how the entire class had a home page together and then we could branch out and access our own links from that home page.

The next wiki we did was the rock star trading card. In that assignment we worked with a partner and answered questions about a mineral. This assignment was fun and short. We had a partner where we found out some facts about the mineral we chose. My partner and I picked to do the ruby. I liked how we could look at other's work and found out information about other minerals.

The last wiki that we will do is still in the works. We will be doing a resource wiki where we will find useful websites within our teaching preferences (mine is early childhood education). I am looking forward to this because I know that my classmates will have some good websites that I can use in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment